Skip to main content

Universal Credit FAQ

If you are looking to find out more about Universal Credit, the answer to your query might be below:

I am used to receiving my benefits weekly rather than monthly. Can I change this?

Universal Credit will be paid to you monthly. You will need to manage your finances on a monthly basis when receiving Universal Credit.

We have a range of tips and advice on managing your money from setting up a budget planner to money saving tips on our website. Find out more here.

What benefits are excluded from Universal Credit?

The following benefits are not included within Universal Credit payments:

• Disability Living Allowance
• Child Benefit
• Contribution-Based Jobseekers Allowance
• Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
• Statutory Sick Pay
• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
• Council Tax Benefit
• Bereavement Benefits
• Carers Allowance
• Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance

Will I need to do anything in return for receiving Universal Credit?

When you're claiming Universal Credit, you will need to accept a condition called 'Claimant Commitment'. This is an agreement you accept which will list your responsibilities for receiving Universal Credit, for example searching for employment. You might find that your payments are reduced or stopped if you don't meet the agreements you have made.

Both my partner and I live together and receive benefits - Will we receive two payments of Universal Credit?

Universal Credit will be paid as one single payment for your household. If you're a couple, this payment will be made as one. You and your partner will need to manage your money together and decide which account the payment goes into or whether the payment is sent to a joint account.

Find out more about Universal Credit for couples here.

Do I need to make a claim for Universal Credit if I am already claiming benefits?

If you have a change in your circumstances and are of working age you may have to make a claim for Universal Credit but it is a good idea to check whether you have a choice to stay on your current benefits or move to Universal Credit . You can check your entitlement  using

By the end of 2024 all benefit claimants will have moved over to claiming Universal Credit . When you are asked to make a new claim for Universal Credit by the DWP you will be entitled to ‘ transitional protection’. This means that as long as  your circumstances do not change, you won’t receive less than you did from your previous benefits claim.