Skip to main content

Changes to your rent and other charges - Freehold customers

Each year, there will be changes to your charges. This page explains more about how your charges are calculated. 

What charges may I have to pay? 

Service charges - A service charge is the amount payable for the delivery of communal services such as grounds maintenance or other communal shared services applicable to freeholders, like the maintenance and emptying of Bromford owned sewage tanks/systems etc.   

If you don’t receive any services, then you won’t have to pay any service charges. 


 Why do I have to pay for service charges? 

We have a legal obligation to provide certain services where you live and to maintain any communal areas, and you may be required to contribute towards the cost of providing these services as set out within the sales documents you received when you purchased your home - A Section 125 notice. 


What is included in my service charge? 

The list of services covered under your service charge are set out in the service charge statement we send to you along with your annual review letter. They will also be set out within your sales documents/Section 125 notice.  

The services listed will be relevant to you and your home. 


How do we calculate your service charge? 

Freeholders pay their charges in arrears. This means the service charges you will see in your letter will be for the actual costs incurred by Bromford to deliver the services you have received. 

You will only ever pay the actual costs incurred by Bromford, no profit can be made through service charges. 


What if I am unhappy with the services I am paying for? 

If you are unhappy with the delivery of the service you are paying for, please contact your neighbourhood coach in the first instance. 


What if I think my rent or service charge has been calculated incorrectly? 

Please contact your income management advisor with the details of your query.  They will liaise with our rents and service charge team to review your charges and address any issues where applicable. 


What if I have already contacted Bromford in relation to my charges, and I am still unhappy? 

Freeholders can contact agencies such as Citizens Advice Bureau for independent advice or an independent solicitor.  

You can also contact our customer solutions team to make a complaint here Complaints | Bromford 


When will the new charges start? 

The new charges will apply from 1st April 2024. 


Will I need to change my direct debit? 

If you pay your charges by direct debit, we’ll amend your payments to accommodate the new amount and you will receive a letter in March to confirm the new payments. 


How can I pay? 

Can I set up a Direct Debit? 

Direct debit is the easiest way to pay, please contact your income management advisor if you wish to set up a direct debit. 


Other payment methods 

Payments can also be made using a debit or credit card via your online  customer portal account, or by telephone using the automated payment line on 0330 1234 034.You will need your account reference number to hand. 


Help and support with payments 

It's really important to talk to us if you have concerns about your ability to pay your charges. Your Bromford income management advisor is there to support you and work with you to find an affordable solution.  They can also assist you to claim benefits and to help you to maximise your income.  You will find their contact details on the top of your letter. 

You can find additional information about what to do if you find yourself struggling with money here. Money matters: The cost of living | Bromford