Skip to main content

CCTV can be a great tool and can help you feel safe, but you must follow certain rules if you want to install it in your home. 

Installing domestic CCTV or a doorbell camera 

You need our permission if the installation will alter or damage the fabric of the building (like making holes with screws or a drill). This is part of your tenancy agreement. 

You don’t need our permission if the installation will not alter or cause damage to the fabric of the building. 

Ask for our permission to install CCTV or doorbell camera 

Other considerations for installing CCTV 

  • The installation must be safe and should be completed by a competent person.  
  • You must not install devices to anything you don’t own without written consent from the owner. 
  • You should make sure that all other rules are followed (such as obtaining planning permission when required). 

Filming images outside your home 

If you are filming outside the boundary of your home you need to follow guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). This includes: 

  • other homes or gardens 
  • communal corridors or shared spaces 
  • car parks 
  • footpaths. 

If so, you must: 

  • put up signs to say that CCTV is recording 
  • share the images with the people you record if they ask for them 
  • deal with requests to delete footage or people not wanting to be recorded  

Read the full guidance for people using CCTV 


If you’re unhappy about a neighbour’s CCTV 

If you feel unhappy about being filmed, talk to your neighbour. They may not know how you feel and could make changes to the CCTV so you are both happy – such as blanking out areas from being recorded. 

We're not able to get involved with these disputes. 

If you’re still unhappy, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office  

Taking legal action

You may also be able to seek a criminal or civil remedy under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. 

This allows someone to take action against the person operating the CCTV in the criminal or civil courts. The courts will look at whether most people or a reasonable person would think the behaviour amounts to harassment. 

The House of Commons Library has published information on CCTV surveillance by neighbours 


More information 

For more information, speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau, or the Police.