Skip to main content

Flooding can be an unfortunate event to happen to any of us, for support reach out to your local authority, only contact us in the case of an emergency. Check out the below advice to help you find out more:

  • Check your local weather forecast and visit the environment agency website to keep up to date on flood warnings in your area.

    The website gives an indication as to which areas are or could be affected and how likely flooding is to occur in these areas.

    The environment agency also provides lots of helpful information on how to prepare for a flood, what to do in a flood and what to do after a flood. Make sure you read up on the tips they provide!

    You may require sandbags as a preventative measure. You will need to contact your local authority if you require any sandbags.

  • Although these may not cause flooding, checking your home and reporting necessary repairs can help prevent leaks damaging your property.

    Check your home for the following:

    • Check gutters are not blocked if it is safe to do so.
    • Check external pipes are connected or don’t have any cracks/damage.
    • Make sure waste pipes are connected to gully’s correctly.
    • Check whether your drains outside, such as in a gully, are blocked.

    If you have noticed a fault in any of the above, make sure you report these to us on 0330 1234 034.

  • Have you noticed any damp marks or patches on your ceiling? This could be a sign of a roof leak. If you think you have a roof leak, report this to us on 0330 1234 034

    If you think you have a roof leak, carefully remove or cover valuable items in your loft (if it is safe to do so) to help prevent damage.

    You may have noticed loose or missing tiles on your roof. If your roof tiles are loose, report this immediately to us on 0330 1234 034.

  • Contents Insurance isn’t just vital in the event of a flood, but also if any of your belongings are damaged due to a leak, burst pipe or fire. There are many insurance providers out there that can provide you with a quote.

    There is also a low rate insurance policy available through the National Housing Federation called ‘My Home Contents Insurance Scheme’. Find out more about the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.