Skip to main content

Your tenancy responsibilities

As part of your tenancy agreement:

You must:

  • pay your rent in full and on time.
  • be a considerate neighbour, ensuring that everyone who lives with or visits you does not cause a nuisance or annoy others.
  • not use your home for any illegal or immoral purpose.
  • ask permission to run a business from your home.
  • live in your home - you cannot move out and allow someone else to move in.
  • give us notice when you intend to move out.
  • make sure that you do not exceed the permitted number of occupants as specified in your tenancy agreement. If you think that you need a larger home because your circumstances have changed, please tell us and we will let you know how to apply for a larger home.

You need to take care of your home and we expect that you will:

  • not cause any damage.
  • take out home contents insurance or provide proof of alternative insurance cover.
  • keep us up to date with who is living in your home.
  • keep your home and garden clean, tidy and free from rubbish in at least the condition they were when you moved in.
  • keep your home in good repair - this means letting us know quickly if we need to do any repairs and doing the repairs you are responsible for.
  • allow us access to inspect or carry out repairs we are responsible for.
  • report damage that you, those that live with you or your visitors have caused.
  • if you have gas appliances you need to give access as required for them to be serviced.
  • not leave caravans, trailers, boats or other large items or untaxed vehicles on your drive or any shared area.
  • return our calls when we need to speak to you and meet with us to review your tenancy.

If you breach your agreement we will inform you and take appropriate action. If it is serious, we will take legal action.

Our Responsibilities

As your landlord we will:

  • take account of your views.
  • carry out the repairs we are responsible for.
  • allow you to carry out your own improvements and alterations - but you need our permission first.
  • allow you to take in lodgers - you do need our permission first and it must not cause overcrowding.
  • allow you to exchange with another social landlord or council tenant - providing you have our permission first and that each landlord is in agreement.
  • give you information about the services we provide and how we perform.
  • consult you about any changes to your service.