Did you know that there are different ways you can save money just because you've reached this golden age? Here are some handy tips that might save you some money:
- Free bus pass - Depending on your state pension age, you can apply for a free bus pass which can be used nationwide. Rather than people receiving this on their 60th Birthday, both men and women are eligible in line with the rise in the age at which women become eligible for a state pension. If you are born before 5th May 1951, then you can apply. If you were born after 6th May 1951, it will depend on your state pension age. Find out when you can apply for your free bus pass
- Through the Government's Warm Home Discount scheme you could get a £140 discount on your electricity bill for winter 2020 to 2021 which won't affect you if you receive a winter fuel payment or cold weather payment. Find out if you qualify
- Pension Credit - Make sure you're getting what you are entitled to. If you have a total income of £145 a week and have savings, and receive £110 a week, you may be entitled to more. Check what Pension credit you're entitled to
- Winter fuel payments - You may be entitled to some help with your winter bills. If you receive a state pension or certain benefits, you can qualify. You may even be able to claim back payments between 1997-2000.
- Cold weather payment - if you receive certain benefits or support for mortgage interest, you could be entitled to a cold weather payment. These payments are made if the temperature is recorded or forecasted at an average of zero degrees or below for 7 consecutive days.
- Energy grants - You may be entitled to different energy grants for your home which can help save money on your electricity, gas and water
- If you're over 75, you can get a free TV Licence. Find out more from TV Licencing.
- You can get free prescriptions on the NHS if you're over 60. Just complete and sign the back of the prescription form. Find out more on free prescriptions from NHS choices.
- Make some cash by house-sitting! There are different websites on offer which are looking for people to look after their home whilst they're away. So why not try something new and make a few pounds while your there! Visit housecarers and mindmyhouse for more information.
You can also find out more information from the money advice service.