Skip to main content

Which alterations do I need permission for?

We understand that you might want to make your home personal to you. Here is a guide of what alterations you can and cannot carry out on your property. We've also put together a list of frequently asked questions below. 

Once you've read through the questions below you can request an alteration.

What you need permission for FAQs

  • This list is not exhaustive. If the alteration you wish to undertake is not listed below or in the section where permission is not required, you must still seek permission by submitting a request.

    Any external alteration to a new build property within the first 10 years of build, regardless of whether the request falls within the 'no permission required' section, will require permission.

    • Alterations to water supply pipes and drainage
    • Any works affecting a party wall or boundary
    • Aerial (Non-Standard TV/Radio or Flats or Property less than 5yrs old)

    Please note Sky Q is not available for customers in blocks of flats as the communal dishes do not currently support Sky Q. Permission will not be given for any additional dishes to be installed in these blocks. You will be able to connect to the communal dish for standard Sky Plus

    • Bathroom replacement or alterations
    • Boundary Wall adding new or alterations
    • Cable - Broadband/TV (Flats or Property less than 5yrs old)
    • Cavity wall or loft insulation
    • CCTV System (only where wiring is required)
    • Conservatory
    • Conversion or sub dividing room
    • Doors & Windows replacement or alterations
    • Dropped kerb / off road parking /driveway
    • Electrical works - installing new sockets, shower, lighting etc.
    • Extensions to the home
    • Erecting Fences. We need to know which boundary is in question (front, rear or back) and which property is adjacent to the boundary (which side is the fence on). We will also need the full address and postcode for this property. Please provide as much supporting information as possible to help us process your application quickly
    • Fencing/railings adding new or alterations (not like for like style/height)
    • Garage/carports construction or alterations
    • Gas cooker installation where no current supply
    • Kitchen replacement or alterations
    • Large garden alterations - astro turf, changing levels, terracing structures, landscaping, patios, paths or decking
    • Loft conversion
    • Out buildings*
    • Painting & Decoration for surfaces not already painted/wall papered
    • Painting & Decoration for surfaces not already painted or different colour
    • Pond/pool
    • Porches
    • Satellite dish (Non-Standard size or Block of more than 3 flats or Property less than 5yrs old)
    • Singular sheds/Animal cages greater than 3x2.4 metres in rear garden or properties less than 5yrs old* (no electrical or water supply can be provided to the shed) The shed must be no closer than 3 metres to any other building where there are openings or materials that may allow a fire to spread. The shed must be no closer than 1 metre where there are no openings in the brick or solid, non-combustible construction wall.
    • Structural alterations
    • Water supply pipes and drainage.

    *Out buildings and sheds must not be used for sleeping purposes or for self-contained living accommodation.

    Important: Some properties may contain asbestos. This should not be a concern unless the area it is housed in is in poor condition or if it is disturbed. If you are planning on making any alterations or think you may have asbestos in your property, please call the Contact Team on 0330 1234034.

  • Permission is not required for the following unless your home is under 10 years old where you will need to request permission for any alterations you wish to undertake.

    This list is not exhaustive. If the alteration you wish to undertake is not listed below or in the section where permission is required, you must still seek permission by submitting a request.

    • Fitting of a water meter
    • Small scale gardening such as plants and shrubs to private rear gardens
    • Small wooden garden sheds (less than 10x8') within the property boundary and with no water/power supply
    • Changing light fittings where no additional wiring is required
    • Decoration or internal soft furnishings such as curtains/blinds
    • Carpeting
    • Laminate flooring (except in flats above ground floor to prevent noise transfer)
    • Fitting of white goods where services are already available
    • Fixing of aerials or standard size satellite dish to most houses unless local planning restrictions apply
    • Changing of internal doors or ironmongery in houses; however, certain requirements must be met:
      • Where a glazed door is installed then safety glazing must be fitted, and all safety glazing should be permanently marked in accordance with BS6206.
      • Within houses with integral garages fire safety legislation requires suitable fire doors to be installed, with self-closing devices and smoke seals – permission must be requested before changing any door leading directly to a garage.
    • Should these requirements not be met, you will be required to replace any unsuitable doors with the correct type.
    • Fitting of house numerals

    Please note: Where laminate flooring fitted at your request has to be removed to gain access to services by a Bromford appointed contractor, we will not be responsible for re-fitting.

    Please note: These do not apply if you are a shared owner or live in a Bromford supported scheme. If you're a shared owner, please see the link at the bottom of this page. If you live in a Bromford supported scheme, please speak to your scheme manager for more details.

    If you need to find out which tenancy you're on, see the different ways you can contact us.

  • You may need other permissions from the local authority, such as planning permission or building regulations approval.

    Also, if the work is to gas, electrical or water services, you will need to follow the relevant rules, appoint competent professionals and provide certificates to show that the work complies with regulations.

    You will be responsible for obtaining planning permission for any work you wish to carry out if this is required.

    If you are in doubt, check with the local planning office through your local authority.

    For more information on obtaining planning permission and to find your local authority.

  • You need our permission if the installation will alter or damage the fabric of the building (like making holes with screws or a drill). This is part of your tenancy agreement. 

    You don’t need our permission if the installation will not alter or cause damage to the fabric of the building.

    For further information take a look at our guidance for customers on domestic CCTV page

Now you know what you need permission for you might want to take a look through the FAQs below:

Alterations FAQs

  • Yes, you must get our written permission before you start any work. Please complete the alteration request form. We may want to inspect your home first.

    We'll get back to you in writing within 12 weeks of receiving all the information we need from you. Permission is then valid for 12 months.

    If you don't get round to completing the work by then, you'll need to apply for an extension.

    If the property is a new build and still within the 12 month defects period, you won't be given permission to carry out an improvement or alteration.

    You may need other permissions from the local council, such as planning permission or building regulations approval.

    Also, if the work is to gas, electrical or water services, you will need to follow the relevant rules and provide certificates to show that the work complies with regulations.

  • You must pay for all the costs of altering and improving your home.

  • You are responsible for the cost of maintaining and repairing the improvements.

  • A competent professional must do all the work. We may inspect the work to ensure they have done it to a suitable/required standard.

    For some improvements, you may have to use someone who is suitably experienced, qualified, and registered with another specialist organisation.

    For example, you must use a Gas Safe-Registered contractor for gas work. We can tell you about this when you apply for permission to do the work.

    An approved electrician must do all the electrical work. By 'approved', we mean that before the electrical work starts, you must give us proof of the qualifications of anyone doing electrical work to your home, and their current membership of one of the five governing bodies - NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA, BSI or ELECSA.

    Work on water pipes must comply with regulations.

  • We may ask that you provide scale drawings, specification of materials, details of who will be undertaking the works and any necessary statutory approvals.

    You will need to obtain and submit these with your application if they are required for the work you're carrying out.

    If you don't provide the requested documents, a surveyor won't be able to visit you to discuss what work will be carried out.

    Certificates which we have requested for minor works such as showers must be received by Bromford two weeks after completion.

  • We will visit your property to inspect any major works after completion.

    Any relevant certificates must be received at the time of this visit.

  • If you want to leave your home, we expect you to leave it in good condition.

    If there are repairs related to the improvement works you are responsible for, you will need to arrange and pay for them to be done.

    We may need you to return the property to its original state so you may be required to remove, alter or replace improvements. You must arrange and pay for this work.

  • If you are a homeowner looking to carry out an improvement, you can find out more about making a request to improve your home in our Homeowners section.

    Once you've found out more you can submit a request to make an improvement to your home.

  • If you have already carried out improvements and you are looking to leave your property, you may qualify for compensation.

Once you've read through the questions above you can request an alteration.