Skip to main content

The content in this article may now be out of date. Please try searching for a more recent version.

With the date of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union fast approaching, we’re providing some advice for customers on how it could affect you.

Whether it’s deal or no deal we expect most of our customers will not see any change to their daily lives after the country leaves the EU. However, you may need to take extra measures if you are planning on visiting an EU country after this time.

More information is available on the government’s website -

The website also has information for any businesses that buy or sell goods or services from the EU.

EU citizens

If you are from an EU or EEA country, you will still be able to live in your existing home and in the future will continue to be able to apply to live in another social housing property.

However, you will need to apply to the Home Office for the EU Settlement Scheme to secure your long-term immigration status in the UK. If you have lived in the UK for five or more years you will be allowed to live in the country for as long as you want – this is known as settled status. If you have lived in the UK for less than five years you will be given pre-settled status. Find out more information about applying for settled status

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

Please note – Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme – the government has announced that Irish people have a right to live in the UK which is separate to their rights under the EU. However, you can apply if you want to.

Whether you receive settled or pre-settled status you will still have the same rights to apply for and live in social housing as you do now.

Writing about all things housing related for more than 10 years.

More from Hywel

Leave a comment