Skip to main content

The content in this article may now be out of date. Please try searching for a more recent version.

Do you receive Universal Credit? Including the housing element for rent? If so, there are a couple of important things you need to do.

What do I need to do?

  •  you need to tell the DWP that your rent and service charges have changed and give them the new details 

Where do I find this information?

  • your new rent and service charge information can be found in the annual rent review letter we sent you in February. This letter breaks down your new rent and service charges and the date when the charges take effect 

How do I update my details?

  • log into your Universal Credit journal
  • fill in the short ‘Confirm your Housing Costs’ section with the information about your new charges 
  • if you have a telephone claim with Universal Credit, you will need to call them on 0800 328 5644 – choose option 2.

It’s important you do this as soon as possible to ensure your housing costs are paid at the correct rate. 

Once you’ve followed the quick process above, DWP will notify us to allow us to verify the charges. The good news is there’s no need to wait in a queue to speak to us directly over the phone. 

For further information on rent and service charge changes, why not head to our dedicated page.

Related articles