What is shared ownership
An affordable way to get onto the property ladder.
Shared Ownership can be a fantastic way to get your foot on the property ladder if you can't afford to buy a home on the open market.
You can buy between 25% and 75% of the property with the option to buy more shares at a time that's right for you. You will pay a monthly rent on the remaining share. Your home will be yours and you will have all the rights and responsibilities of being a home owner.
Step 1 - Check your local area connection.
You’ll notice that on most of our property listings we say that a local connection to the area is needed.
This is because the homes for sale in these areas have been built specifically to help meet the needs of local people who can’t afford to get on the housing ladder any other way.
The local area connection criteria varies between sites, but generally it’s based on:
- Being a resident (or employed within) the area for a number of years (usually between 2-5)
- Family connections – for example, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or adult sibling – who have lived in the area for at least three years.
To find the local area connection, go to the web page for the site you're interested in and click on the link.
Confirm you do not own property elsewhere that you do not intend to sell in order to complete on this purchase.
Step 2 - What's affordable for you?
As part of the application process you are required to carry out an affordability assessment and provide documents to support the application, Mortgage Advice Bureau or TMP Mortgages will carry out this initial assessment.
Visit Mortgage Advice Bureau where you can arrange a call.
- When on the Mortgage Advice Bureau’s website click the contact button in the top right corner
- Simply give them your contact details and press submit
- One of their friendly team of specialist shared ownership advisers will be in touch within an hour (they're open 7 days a week). They will explain how things work and let you know the documents needed to complete a financial assessment. There’s no form filling, the only thing you need to do is send them what they’ve asked for within 5 working days.
Or visit TMP Mortgages' website to complete an online assessment
- When on the TMP website click the Apply now button
- Complete the online questionnaire
- Your assessment will then be allocated to the correct person and an advisor will then make contact with you within 24 hours (not including weekends) they will discuss options with you and request documents required to complete the application. All documents must be provided to TMP within five working days.
If you have any difficulties completing the assessment online please contact TMP directly who will be able to assist you 01604 780586.
Step 3 - Get in contact.
Once Step 3 is complete, TMP or the Mortgage Advice Bureau will contact the Sales Team at Bromford to confirm the share that you are able to purchase.
A member of our Sales Team will get in touch with you to confirm your choice of solicitor and mortgage broker. We will then issue your notification of sale to all parties in order to formally instruct your sale.
All applications will be processed in order of receipt based on when both reference numbers were provided. Unfortunately we may not be able to process your application if any of these steps have not been followed, or if any information is missing.