Right to Buy
The Government’s planned extension to the Right to Buy scheme is still under review and no changes have been made. You can contact the Government's Right to Buy Agent Service for advice about eligibility and to get updates on changes that might affect you on their website or contact an agent.
Am I eligible?
You might be able to buy your home if:
- You rent your home from Bromford and have a 'secure' tenancy - a tenancy given to you by Bromford before 15 January 1989 OR
- You were a Council tenant when the management of your home was transferred to us from Cotswold District Council, Lichfield District Council, Tewkesbury Borough Council or South Gloucestershire Council AND
- You don't live in sheltered or other housing specifically for elderly or disabled people AND
- You don't have any outstanding possession orders against you because you have breached the terms of your tenancy agreement.
The discount available to you depends on how long you have held your tenancy (public sector tenancy) for. The maximum discount available is £96,000.
- Try the online calculator to see how much discount you may be entitled to.
Can I afford to buy my home?
- You will need to find out the value of your home. You can use Zoopla home values estimator for a guided price.
- You may need a mortgage. For financial advice reach out The Mortgage People
- You will need to pay for solicitors' fees, survey costs, and a mortgage arrangement fee
- You will be responsible for the cost of all repairs to the property
- You will be responsible for service charges for maintaining any communal/shared areas
- You will be responsible for paying buildings insurance
We strongly recommend you look at property prices in your area and the mortgage amount you are likely to need before applying to buy your home.
Please note before we can process your right to buy application you will need a home visit from your Neighbourhood Coach.
How do I apply
View the Right to Buy booklet.
When you purchase your home, we share your data with the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government for research and statistical purposes as part of the COntinous REcording of Social Housing lettings and Sales (CORE).
Please advise your case handler if you do not wish to take part in the COntinous REcording of Social Housing lettings and Sales (CORE).