Skip to main content

Pay to stay

If you want to stay in your home, you will need to pay the extra money you lost because of Bedroom Tax.

There are different ways you can pay your rent, from direct debits to swipe cards, but here are some options to help you find the extra money:

Increase your payments - If you have the money available you can use it to cover the cost of Bedroom Tax and stay in your current home. There are different ways you can pay.

Money saving tips - See how your money can go further and cover the Bedroom Tax.

Benefits advisor - Check whether you are getting the right benefits and whether you may be entitled to additional funds.

Discretionary housing payment- If you are foster carer or live in a property with adaptations for people with a disability, you may qualify for a discretionary housing payment through your local council. The council will have the decision on who they can award this payment to. Please be aware that these payments are given for a limited time and are to be used as a short term solution. To find different ways of saving money, check out our money saving tips 

Financial support and advice - We have a host of further information that can help you with your finances and to make your money go further.

Take a lodger - Taking a lodger can help increase your household income and can cover the Bedroom Tax. However, having a lodger could affect your benefits in other ways. Having a lodger may mean that as your extra bedroom is being used but any money you receive from the lodger (apart from the first £20) will be seen as income and this may affect the amount of benefits you receive.

Be aware, when your benefits are transferred to Universal Credit, the lodger will no longer be counted as occupying a bedroom and the rules for bedroom tax may then affect you and your benefits may be reduced. However, the income you receive from the lodger will no longer be taken into account and will not affect your benefits.

If you are thinking of taking in a lodger, make sure you contact us