Skip to main content

Dealing with anti-social behaviour

We take anti-social behaviour very seriously as we know it affects the quality of life for our customers. 

Our service will give you honest advice about what we can and can't do to put a stop to such behaviour.

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour comes in many forms, it includes a wide range of unacceptable behaviour from everyday incidents such as noise nuisance to serious criminal acts.  The types of behaviour that Bromford considers anti-social include (but not limited to):

  • Rowdy/nuisance behaviour;
  • Verbal abuse/harassment/intimidation/threatening behaviour;
  • Hate related incidents about the victims colour, race, sexuality, ethnicity, disability, faith or national origin;
  • Drug/substance misuse/drug dealing;
  • Alcohol related;
  • Physical violence;
  • Domestic violence;
  • Prostitution/sexual acts/kerb crawling;
  • Litter/rubbish/fly tipping
  • Pets and animal nuisance;

The safety and security of our customers and their homes is very important to us.  Tell us immediately if you (or if you think someone else) are suffering from any of these problems.

You can report incidents by:

If you contact us to report an incident it will be dealt with by your housing manager and/or community safety manager who are trained to help. 

The action we can take depends on the type of anti-social behaviour and how serious it is.

We ask that you:

  • Be responsible for your behaviour and the behaviour of members of your household and visitors to your home; 
  • Make sure that you treat your home and neighbourhood with respect and follow the terms set out in your tenancy agreement;
  • Respect your neighbours and think about how your actions may affect them;
  • Be aware of what your children and visitors are doing;
  • Don't abuse, harass, intimidate or threaten your neighbours;
  • Don't make so much noise e.g. playing loud music, shouting and swearing that may disturb your neighbours;
  • Don't get involved with drugs.  We have a zero tolerance to drugs and will inform the police and take legal action if you, your household or visitors use and sell drugs;
  • Control your pets and clean up after them;
  • Be considerate when parking your vehicles and use the parking spaces provided;
  • Avoid dropping litter and leaving rubbish lying around and keep your garden tidy, if you have one.

What can I do

It is important that we all work together to sort out difficulties, we cannot do this without your help. 

Good neighbours should be able to talk to each other to sort out problems.   At first, we may ask you to try and sort out the matter with your neighbour yourself.  By speaking to your neighbour, you may be able to settle the matter straight away without having to do anything else.  Explain to your neighbour calmly, in a reasonable way exactly what is causing the problem a why, be very specific.  Don't get involved in an argument.  If your neighbour behaves unreasonably, walk away, don't retaliate in any way.

If this doesn't work, then contact us and we will talk to you about the problem and tell you how we can help.  We may need to put you in touch with other agencies, such as the police or an environmental health team.  If we do this we will work with you and them to sort out the problem.

We will try and sort out minor problems quickly but if things are, or become, more serious we will agree with you:

  • How and when we will keep in touch with you;
  • An action plan of what we will do, and what you need to do.

Will Bromford disclose my details to the person I have complained about?

We cannot disclose any details without you giving us permission.  However in some circumstances it can be obvious where a complaint has come from e.g. if you complain about loud music from your next door neighbour, then they may have a good idea who has complained about them.

How will Bromford tackle anti-social behaviour, what will we do about it?

We will:
  • Offer a 24 hour service to report anti-social behaviour. You can do this by calling 0330 1234 034. (Depending on the nature of your report, if your call is within non-working hours, this will be passed to colleagues to investigate the following working day)
  • Investigate every reported case of domestic violence, racial harassment and hate crime;
  • Take immediate and urgent action in very serious cases, for example where attacks have taken place.  This may include taking out injunction/s or commencing possession proceedings.  Action will happen within 2 working days;
  • For non emergency cases we will contact the complainant within 5 working days;
  • Agree an action plan;
  • Agree a contact contract to keep in touch with you at regular intervals decided by you;
  • Support you if you are required to give evidence or attend court;
  • Remove offensive graffiti within 24 hours of it being reported, if it is on our land.
If the incident is less serious, we may:
  • Visit the alleged perpetrator and issue a verbal warning and/or written warning reminding them of their responsibilities and the consequences of unacceptable behaviour;
  • Invite them to sign an Acceptable Behaviour Contract so they know what is expected of them in the future;
  • Make referrals to partner agencies who may be able to offer support (to both victims and perpetrators) to help resolve issues;
  • Offer mediation which is an effective way of resolving disputes without the need to go to court. It involves an independent third party, a mediator, who helps both sides come to an agreement. It must be noted that mediation is a voluntary process and will only take place if both parties agree.
If the incident is more serious, we may consider taking legal action such as:
  • applying for an Anti-social Behaviour Injunction to control housing related anti-social behaviour to:
    • Enforce the terms of the tenancy agreement;
    • Stop and/or prevent a particular action or behaviour
  • Applying for an Anti-social Behaviour Order;
  • Applying for a Demotion Order;
  • Application to recover possession of the property;

Please remember that some incidents of anti-social behaviour are extremely difficult to prove and it may not always be possible to achieve a positive outcome.

When will my case be closed?

Your case will be closed when the action plan is complete and/or if no further action is needed or is possible.


If you would like to share your experience with us, speak to us using the following:

You can also

Email us:
Text us: 07797 805644
Tweet us: @Bromfordhelp
Join us on Facebook just search: This is Bromford

Where else to get help

Our Community Safety Team, is a specialist team that supports and advises colleagues and customers in all areas of anti-social behaviour from initial investigations through to court action.


Emergency - 999
Non emergency - 101

National Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 2000 247
 (open 24 hours a day and they can put you in touch with your nearest refuge)

Victim Support - 0845 30 30 900

NSPCC - 0808 800 5000

Men's Aid - 0871 223 9986
(for men suffering abuse)

MALE - 0808 801 0327
(Men's Advice Line and Enquiries)

Elder Abuse Response Line - 080 8808 8141
(for older people suffering abuse)

Kiran Asian Women's Aid - 0208 558 1986

Southall Black Sister - 0208 571 0800

Lesbian and Gay Switchboard - 0330 3300 630

NHS Direct - 0845 4647

Equality and Human Rights Commission - 0845 604 6610

Crimestopper − 0800 555 111

Telephone numbers might change - you can find up to date contact details for the agencies referred to in your local directory or though any directory enquiries service or the internet.

If you need this leaflet reproducing in another format or language then please contact us.